Friday, July 29, 2011

Budva...

Ok to be honest I didn't do a whole lot in Budva. I drank cocktails and beers, wandered the promenade markets, sat in beach bars, swam, and read a lot while sitting on the roof top terrace or the air conditioned room in my hostel. It was near 40 degrees and had to have been at least 70% humidity so needless to say I was a sweaty mess a good portion of my time in Budva. Staying in the hostel seemed to be the best choice for staying cool and dry. I managed to make some new friends from Vancouver and New Zealand. We all got on well so it made for a good time. The two gals from Vancouver and I went on a shopping and Chinese food mission one day. We had a good time but our Chinese food was questionable at best. We concluded that Montenegrins do not make very good Chinese food.

One day several of us from the hostel went on a boat tour offered by Saki, the hostel owner. We had a good time, saw some beautiful sights and were able to swim in the pristine waters. We also got to go to the island across from Budvas main beach. It appears it was called "Hawaii" which I thought was slightly random. I quite enjoyed our little boat trip. To be honest, I am perfectly happy on any boat at any time though. I guess its the island girl in me.

A highlight of my stay in Budva was PARASAILING! Melissa, one of the gals from Vancouver, and I went double parasailing and it was such a great experience. I have always loved being up high and looking down on the world but this was unlike anything Ive ever done. With my feet dangling in mid air and nothing but open space and the ocean 400m below me I was able to capture some decent shots of Budva from above. I have always loved flying and being in planes but this was an all new way of flying! It has me really keen to try paragliding and hang gliding now too!

Budva was such a fun place to party in. With all the beach bars spread along the beach during the day and the open air beach clubs lining the main promenade in the evening there is no lack of entertainment. I hear the night life in the old city center was more subdued but just as fun also. Plus, there is a club, appropriately called Top Hill, on the top of the hill above Budva. It is a massive open air nightclub with live DJs, fire dancers and trapeze artists on stage. Now, what do you reckon we paid to get into such a place? Maybe the equivalent of 20$? Possibly more? Nope, it was 5 Euro. Which is approximately $7 CAD. Gotta love the balkans!

 As much as I hate long bus journeys, sometimes its a chance to see thigns I never would have seen otherwise. The drive through the mountains from Bosnia back into Montenegro was absolutely stunning!

Crystal clear, perfectly calm, turquoise water. Perfect.

 My fellow Brit. Columbians!

 The beach bar!

Foam party!

 Mel and I getting ready to head up, up and away!

Perfect day! 
Photos of the view from up top to come soon.

2 comments:

  1. Foam party picture is not from Budva, it is from Sutomore, admit it:) And share with all which place is best for day party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BUDVA-Budva is city filled with entertainment : Big Carnival in May, Music Festival in June, City Theatre in July and August, many concerts for free in front of the Old Town, world famous DJs in discotheques and live music everywhere.The whole city is open stage.Located a few kilometers from the Croatian border in the UNESCO World Heritage Bay of Kotor, Porto Montenegro is surrounded by unspoiled coastlines, secluded bays and charming medieval towns. The country’s yacht-friendly legislation allows multiple changes to passenger and crew manifests throughout the season, as well as the flexibility to pick-up and drop-off charters in Montenegro. Just outside the entrance to the Bay lies some of the best open water sailing in the Mediterranean.

    ReplyDelete