Saturday, September 10, 2011

Berat Backpackers Hostel

Life in Berat has been calm, relaxed, hot and sunny, and completely eye opening. Albanian culture is so unlike the rest of European culture. This is probably due to the fact that the borders were closed for many years during Communist reign. As soon as I crossed the border from Montenegro into Albania I could see and feel the differences. Donkeys pulling carts (in one instance carrying a small cow), little old ladies tending to the fields and animals, men sitting in the streets, in cafes and outside shops drinking coffee and raki, women doing their daily shopping. Everyday is a new adventure and you see something else you never could have imagined possible.

   As a little bit of a tribute to my love of how random life here in Albania can be, here is a short list of some of the things I have seen and experienced so far:

A cow tied to a telephone pole on Berats main commercial street.
Getting stuck in a foot traffic jam along my street behind a donkey.
Seeing a goat being pushed up the hill outside my house in a wheel barrow.
A street cat carrying a garbage bag in its mouth being chased down the street by a boy.
 Personally being asked to marry the market farmers son... every saturday.
Carrying live chickens home for slaughter.
Being told I should get married because I'm getting too old.
Having to call in "Mama" to come make food at the restaurant.
Hitchhiking with possible Albanian Mafia members.
Seeing a bombed out car due to some random attack.
Hitchhiking with the FedEx man.
Seeing small makeshift garbage dumps on the side of the road... everywhere.

Needless to say, life here is an adventure but I adore it whole heartedly. I have stayed much longer then I had originally planned and the thought of leaving truly leaves me wishing I had the chance to extend my stay here. I guess there is always next year...








Berat saturday market

The farmer that wants me to marry his son.

Some of the Gorica kids.

Our water gets turned off several times a day. Sometimes the power is turned off also.

I love these eclectic metal fences.




No comments:

Post a Comment